Last Updated on by
Weed-and-feed products are useful for lawns with grass that requires added nutrition and at the same time have an abundance of unwanted weeds. A homeowner who uses this combination product can kill two birds with one stone.
There are many products on the market today that contain different percentages of 3 macronutrients, phosphorus (P), potassium (K), and nitrogen (N). The higher the number on the bag, the more concentrated is the amount of fertilizer in the bag. Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed Fertilizer has a fertilizer ratio of 28-0-3. This means that this fertilizer contains 28% nitrogen, NO phosphate, and 3% potassium.
- Up to 2X more powerful dandelion and clover control (vs. previous formula)
- Clears out dandelions and clover-satisfaction guaranteed
- Weedgrip Technology grips the weeds you see-and the ones you don't
- Scotts most powerful weed and feed
Nitrogen is primarily responsible for nurturing the leaf growth on plants, and potassium helps to nurture overall plant function. This fertilizer is phosphorus free, due to newer regulations that equate too much phosphorus with pollution of water systems. It’s been said that phosphorus-rich water causes too much algae growth in water, introduces harmful toxins, lowers the oxygen level, and may result in fish kill. Although this connection has not been scientifically proven, Scotts has decided to err on the side of caution with this product.
- So powerful that it kills everything except your lawn
- This is the only product that got rid of my clover
- Dandelions disappeared after one application
- Feed portion did a great job of thickening up my lawn
- Scotts replaced a proven herbicide called atrazine with a newer herbicide metsulfuron. I didn’t get as good results with the new formula
- The weed portion worked, but the fertilizer part did not
- Product is expensive
- Up to twice as powerful clover and dandelion control (compared to its previous formula)
- Builds thick green turf from roots upward
- Powerful Weedgrip Technology
- This is Scotts’ most powerful feed and weed
- Crowds out weeds while feeding thicker lawns
- Scotts famous no quibble money-back guarantee
- Effective for post emergent weed control
- Watersmart technology improves your lawn’s capacity to absorb nutrients and water
Scotts Turf Builder Weed & Feed Fertilizer kills major lawn weeds and dandelions, while at the same time feeding grass to put down strong, deep roots that will be strong enough to crowd out any future weeds. Its new powerful WeedGrip Technology grabs on to even the tiniest of weeds. This bag will cover approximately 5,000 square feet.
This product should be applied no more than twice a year, preferably in late Spring when the majority of weeds are vigorously growing. This weed and feed fertilizer helps grass to grow deep strong roots, and kill weeds and dandelions at the exact same time. Scotts Weed and Feed Fertilizer should be applied to wet lawns only. This product can be used on Bahia, Bermuda, Centipede, Bluegrass, Fescue, Ryegrass, and Zoysia. Don’t use this product on Bentgrass, Carpetgrass, Lippia, Dichondra, Floratam, or St. Augustinegrass.
If you have children or pets, make sure to keep them away from the lawn for at least 24 hours after applying this product. It should NOT be spread by hand unless you’re wearing gloves and spreading it upwind, so there’s no danger of inhaling it. A better bet would be to spread it with a push spreader or a hand held spreader.
This product is best applied in the morning when dew is still on the grass. Wait at least 24 hours (3 or 4 days is good too if the lawn was very wet when it was applied) before watering. Don’t apply if the weather report forecasts rain in the next 24 hours.
Apply this product when daily highs fall between 60 degrees and 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Mow for at least 2 days before and after product application. This product kills only actively growing weeds, and will not stop brand new weeds from germination.
This product kills clovers, common weeds, chickweeds, dollarweeds, and dandelions.
Thanks for Reading!
Fifty-two percent of online reviewers were highly satisfied with this product and would purchase it again. They cited how fast it started to work (sometimes as early as 24 hours) and how effective it was in killing weeds. Nine percent of reviewers were moderately satisfied. It worked well to green up their lawns, but it wasn’t nearly as effective in killing the weeds. Fully 19% of online reviewers were very dissatisfied with this product. They reported that it killed their grass along with the weeds and that this “new formulation” is inferior to the previous formulation.