Over the course of the year, there will be various materials that must be spread throughout your property, from rock salt to grass seed. If you want to achieve an even and consistent distribution of these materials, you’re going to need a spreader. Should you decide to forgo investing in a spreader, you run the risk of product clumping in some areas, while it will be patchy and spotty in others. Because spreaders are able to self-regulate the spread rate, they eliminate this problem. With hundreds of models to choose from, how do you pick the right one?
Enter the NorthStar Tow Behind Boom Broadcast and Spot Sprayer.
NorthStar is one of the most trusted names in the lawn care industry, and this boom broadcast and spot sprayer is the newest addition to their product line. The high end and versatile design of this model enables you to do both wide coverage and precision spraying. Equipped with a commercial grade pump, it offers superior durability, remarkable durability, and simple priming. With solid customer reviews and a sound manufacturer’s warranty from NorthStar, this spreader provides a low risk, high return reward for your home.
Read on to find out more about the NorthStar Tow-Behind Boom Broadcast and Spot Sprayer has to offer!
- It provides an even consistent spray and offers the ability to maneuver the nozzle so that the density and coverage area can be changed as needed.
- The spreader’s ergonomic design features an elongated wired switch that allows the user to turn the boom sprayer on and off while driving.
- Most types of riding mowers will be able to pull this lightweight spreader.
- A small percentage of buyers have complained about the model arriving with missing components.
- This spreader is equipped with an open flow, on demand pump with a generous max flow rate of 2.2 gallons per minute.
- The tank’s walls are extra thick and treated to be UV resistant, protecting the product inside.
- The spray gun easily adjusts from cone to stream and back again as needed.
Let’s start with the highlights of the NorthStar Tow Behind Boom Broadcast and Spot Sprayer:
First and foremost, it comes equipped with a newly redesigned, on demand diaphragm pump. The broadcast nozzle/lance has a wide 14-foot spray pattern, and because this model does not have a boom arm, you do not have to worry about it clipping or breaking on trees or posts. Due to its heavy droplet pattern, drift is minimal. The separate spray gun easily adjusts from cone to stream and vice versa as needed. Its universal spraying solution enables you to broadcast and spot spray at the same time. Few other models currently on the market offer this feature.
Another highlight of this NorthStar model that has won praise from users is its proprietary tank design. Created from a special blend of polymers, this tank is UV resistant, which protects the product it is carrying. It is compatible with almost all types chemical products, including fertilizers and rock salt. Moreover, the extra thick walls ensure that it will not sag or bulge over time. The tank has a maximum capacity of 21 gallons and a 2.2 gallon per minute (GPM) spread rate. The tank is securely mounted to a heavy duty steel cart, which is made from 100% steel and capable of treading rough terrains with ease.
As a whole, this spreader weighs approximately 60 pounds, which means that most riding lawn mowers will be able to pull it easily without much strain.
The exact specifications for the NorthStar Tow Behind Boom Broadcast and Spot Sprayer include:
- Pressure (PSI): 70
- Tank Size (gal.): 21
- Broadcast Width (ft.): 6 2/3
- Spray Height (ft.): 19
- Hose (in. x ft.): 3/8 x 15
- Spray Gun Type: Spot and broadcast
- Power Supply: 12V
- Tow Behind Cart Included: Yes
- Flow (GPM): 2.2
- Dimensions L x W x H (in.): 48 x 42 x 25
When not in use, this spreader offers ultra-compact storage with a retractable tow bar, removable axle and wheels, and foldable boom arms. NorthStar does offer a limited, 2-year warranty on this model.
For the majority of reviewers, problems with the NorthStar Tow Behind Boom Broadcast and Spot Sprayer have been few and far between. A handful of users had the spreader arrive missing a few small components, which were easily replaced. Others did not like the fact that a hitch pin is not included with this model and must be purchased separately. One or two experienced difficulties working with NorthStar’s customer service department; however, the majority of the complaints have not had anything to do with the quality of the unit itself.
- 12V 2.2 GPM open flow NorthStar NSQ Series on-demand pump provides faster priming and longer life;...
- 100% continuous duty rating
- Honeywell MICRO SWITCH for enhanced durability and efficiency
- Santoprene diaphragm and Viton valves for superior reliability and chemical resistance
THANKS FOR READING
At the time of this writing, 85% of reviewers have rated the NorthStar Tow-Behind Boom Broadcast and Spot Sprayer four stars (out of five) or higher. Reading customer reviews is one of the most important steps you can take when researching new spreaders to buy, and we are pleased to say that reviewers seem more than satisfied with their purchase. With an affordable price tag, this tow behind spreader makes a solid entry level investments for homeowners who want a spreader, but don’t want to spend a fortune.