Last Updated on by
I researched the top selling leaf vacuums and mulchers and determine which is the one to purchase.
Raking, piling up your leaves and bagging them? Ugh, who enjoys that? I know I don’t which I why I went on the hunt for the best leaf vacuum and mulcher.
The models below all suck up leafs and grind them up into bits and bag them. It makes the entire leaf cleanup choir so much easier.
You can easily then bag your leaves for the recycling center or add them to your compost pile. Some of the more powerful models can also handle small twigs and other lawn debris.
So which model is best? Read on to learn more!
Quick Look: the best leaf vacuums in 2019
- Toro 51621 UltraPlus: best overall for blowing, vacuuming and mulching
- BLACK+DECKER BV5600: highest rated mulching capacity
- Greenworks 24322: battery powered convenience with strong mulching capabilities.
- Toro 51617: least expensive, but still very well rated model
- BLACK+DECKER BV6000: excellent mulching capacity with low price tag
How We Rated The Leaf Vacuums
I conducted extensive research to provide you with reviews of the best leaf vacuums on the market. I read and
- What are the pros and cons of each leaf vacuum/blower/mulcher?
- Which machine is more reliable or has a better warranty?
- Does the leaf vac have any unique features worth mentioning?
- Does it have a good instruction manual?
- What is the cost of each leaf vac and does its performance and features warrant its higher price tag?
Hopefully, my analysis of each model will be helpful in steering you toward
Each brand/model offers a different warranty. From our research, a 2 year warranty is adequate in most cases.
- BLACK+DECKER provides a 2-year limited warranty
- Toro offers a 2-year full-coverage warranty.
- Greenworks provides a limited 4-year warranty.
Power (MPH & CFM)
Both MPH (Miles Per Hour) and CFM (Cubic Feet Per Minute) affect the output of your leaf vacuum.
MPH tells you how fast the blower air is moving (useful when you’re moving heavy debris). CFM tells you what volume of air is moving through the blower.
Generally the higher MPH, the more expensive the blower. However, I suggest that a leaf blower that has higher CFM and a lower MPH might be the better buy.
Faster air speed doesn’t equate to better blowing.
The CFM pushing power determines the real power of the blower with its capacity to push debris and leaves out of the way.
Mulching (Reduction Power)
Vacuum & mulching can save you a ton of time when it comes to yard cleanup. Instead of raking, bagging, and a trip to the recycling center, a mulcher can help to simplify those chores. Mulching reduces approximately 10 bags of leaves into just 1 bag of mulch.
Mulched leaves are also more prepared for composting because the overall size and surface area of each piece are decreased, and that makes it simpler for microorganisms and beneficial bacteria to digest them.
Bagging has improved dramatically over the years, and now many machines come with a reusable leaf bag that is lined with disposable bags that are a snap to tie up and recycle.
Some of these 3-in-1 machines can mulch 16 leaf bags into only one bag!
Bagging leaves and debris is an eco-friendly way to handle your lawn waste. You’ll never have to blow your excess leaves out into the street or rake them into large piles again.
Of course, the best thing you should do with your leaves is to mulch them. Studies show that mulching your grass and leaves for 3 years will result in a large decrease in crabgrass and dandelions in your yard. So you can bag them and spread them out over your lawn.
Ease of Use
Instead of using a multitude of different garden equipment – a mower, rake, separate mulcher, etc., why not turn to the most time-saving equipment available – a leafer / vacuum / mulcher?
These super convenient machines change from one function to another with a simple nozzle switch or lever.
Here’s a checklist you can follow when researching the best leaf vacuum:
- Make sure you have easy access to a fan area so you can clear blockages simply
- Test your machine in the store to make sure it doesn’t vibrate too much
- Your vacuum/mulcher should have comfortable handles
- You’ll need a blower vac with a trigger lock that will allow you to operate the machine without having to hold down the trigger constantly
Why Should You Buy a Leaf Vacuum / Mulcher
Leaf vacuums are great for removing small quantities of leaves and debris from tight spots, in any location where it would be difficult to use a leaf rake. They are great for cleaning up your driveway and sidewalk in addition to cleaning your yard
New leaf vac combos let you switch quickly between vacuuming, blowing, and mulching. A mulching blower can rapidly convert a huge pile of leaves and debris into a much smaller bag of mulch that is compost-ready that you can either spread in the garden or take to a nearby waste facility.
Shredding leaves can typically reduce the volume of waste by a 16 to 1 ratio, which means that you’ll be able to clean up a large yard filled with leaves and end up with only one bag to dispose.
What To Look For In a Top Rated Model
If you are looking for a leaf blower vac that is relatively quiet and does not emit fumes, stay clear of gas-powered models.
Choose a battery leaf blower if you have a larger area to cover. You will enjoy
Choose a corded electric blower if you want one-handed use, inexpensive cost, zero exhaust emissions
Difference Between Cheap and Expensive Models
There is a perfect leaf vac out there for all tastes and every budget.
On the less expensive side are smaller blowers. The BLACK+DECKER High-Performance Vac/Blower/ Mulcher (BV5600) offers excellent value for your money, for under $100. It features a 2-speed control and a steel mulcher but comes in at a heavier weight of 14.3 pounds. This weight alone will make it hard for some people to operate.
On the slightly more expensive side, there are
Our most expensive leaf vac is the Greenworks 24322. Its higher cost is because this machine is the only leaf vacuum in this list that is battery-powered. Batteries are more expensive than a machine that plugs its cord into an electric socket. You will have a lot more mobility using a machine with a battery than with a corded model. In addition, battery powered tools are more comfortable to use and very quiet.
Best Selling & Top Rated Brands
- Sun Joe
- Poulan Pro
How Much Should I Expect To Pay?
The leaf vacuums that we are reviewing here today range in price from $50 to $150, with an average price around $80.
Do you have a smaller yard doesn’t need all the bells and whistles? A corded model will cost less than a battery powered model.
If you don’t need a mulcher, a less expensive option is to just buy a leaf blower only. A light, compact unit might have less power than a larger model, but it will be cheaper.
Leaf Vacuum Reviews
1) Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum
- Has variable speed control for superior control in both vac and blower mode
- Effective and powerful up to 250 MPH
- Corded blower comes with a storage hook and a bottom-zip vacuum bag
- Doesn’t handle small twigs well as other models
The Toro 51621 is one of the best blower/vac combo machines on the market today
It features a Shredz-All Shred Ring which, when combined with the tough metal impeller can reduce 96% of mulched leave to less than .5 inches (total mulching capacity of 10:1)
2) BLACK+DECKER BV5600 Blower/Vacuum/Mulcher
- Comfortable to use and makes minimal dust
- Lightweight, inexpensive, and very powerful
- Corded high-velocity blower and wiggling nozzle head makes leaf blowing fun
- Leaves occasionally get stuck inside the suction tube
- Assembly instructions are a little convoluted
The BLACK+DECKER BV5600 blows through debris and leaves easily with its 250 MPH blower
It has a high-impact fan which prevents clogging during mulching and can grind 16 bags of mulch down to one bag
3) Greenworks 24322 G-MAX Cordless Blower Vacuum
- Instant start, lots of torque, and a G-Max battery that can provide 60 minutes of run time on one single charge
- Zero emissions, 340 CFM, and 185 MPH wind speed
- Cover gate on the blower bottom protects user from coming into contact with the spinning impeller
- A few users had a hard time emptying the bag
- Doesn’t handle large debris well
The Greenworks G-MAX 24322 is a powerful tool with a DigiPro Brushless Motor and a 40V G-MAX Li-Ion system that provides greater performance, a longer run time, less noise, more efficiency, and longer motor life.
4) Toro 51617 Leaf Blower Vacuum
- Corded vac has a quick-release latch which converts blower into vacuum in a matter of seconds
- Unique fan design improves vacuum flow rate and reduces clogging
- Has multiple tubes and inserts for specialized uses like moving debris out of edging and cracks
- Machine is on the heavy side and the leaf collection bag is cumbersome
- Vac needs a flat surface somewhere on it so it can be set down
The Toro 51617 has a 2-speed motor, an air stream with a maximum of 225 MPH, and is a match for all leaves large and small, sticks, and other debris. Its leaf reduction percentage is 10:1
5) BLACK+DECKER BV6000 Leaf Blower & Mulcher
- Disposable leaf-bag system accompanies mulcher that converts 16 full bags of mulch into 1 bag
- Corded 3-in-1 vac/blower/mulcher work together to clean your lawn in no time at all
- Lightweight multi-tasker provides a simple change between blower and vacuum
- Curvature of zipper makes the bag difficult to empty
- Mulch bag on the small side
The BV6000 has a powerful 12 amp motor that is perfect for vacuuming, blowing and mulching. The bag is easy to empty and has a 16:1 mulch ratio.
I especially like the strong metal impeller – good for when you suck up the occasional acorn or stick.
After researching all the top models available I highly recommend the Toro 51621 for most homeowners.
This all-around model is extremely powerful, works reliably, and has a relatively lightweight (8.8 pounds) space-saving design.
It can comfortably be used with either one or two hands and has a variable speed knob allows you to adjust airflow from barely a trickle up to 250 MPH.
If you have any questions, please contact me or leave a comment below!