Last Updated on by
A lawn sweeper, also
Finding the best lawn sweeper can be a challenge –
Summary: Here are the best lawn sweepers in 2019:
- Agri-Fab 45-0492: my pick for the best overall tow behind lawn sweeper
- Brinly STS-427LXH:
verypopular model for general homeowner use
- Ohio Steel 42SWP22: priced below competitors, but still
very high qualityunit
- John Deere STS-42JD: most popular with John Deere tractor owners
- Agri-Fab 45-0218: my recommendation for the best push lawn sweeper
What is a Lawn Sweeper Used For?
Letting fallen leaves lie and decay on your yard damages grass, impedes growth, causes bare spots to form on your lawn, and contributes to thatch buildup
Raking is an exhausting task that has to be frequently repeated throughout the season.
A lawn sweeper simplifies the process of raking to clear away grass clippings, leaves, debris, and even pine cones
Using a sweeper instead of a rake saves time and energy, and works evenly with gentle rotating brushes, so that grass does not get damaged while you clean your lawn
How To Use a Lawn Sweeper
Lawn sweepers work like a vacuum cleaner by using brushes underneath to pick up any lawn debris and transfer it into a hopper. You might use a lawn sweeper to clean up debris and fallen leaves or to clean up the grass clippings after you’ve mowed it. It’s easy to use a lawn sweeper if you use the following directions.
- First, pick up all large debris from the area, including rocks, branches, and pinecones (a lawn sweeper will pick up grass clippings, small twigs, and leaves, but not large items).
- Second, mow the lawn as usual. A yard sweeper will work best on grass that is freshly mown at the same height. Set your lawn sweeper’s brush height equal to the height of the grass with either a handle or a dial.
- Third, start pushing or pulling your lawn sweeper in paths across your lawn. Turn the sweeper around at the path’s end and make sure the tires are placed in the finished path’s track for good overlap coverage.
Finally, when your hopper is full, empty it onto a tarp or in a selected location.
Types of Lawn Sweepers
There are two main types of lawn sweepers – pull behind or tow behind sweepers and push lawn sweepers.
The tow behind lawn sweeper is run by towing it behind a tractor or riding lawn mower. The sweepers are large, don’t need any physical effort to run, and pick up much more debris in a shorter time span. These sweepers are generally more expensive.
A push lawn sweeper works by manually pushing it like a lawn mower over the area that you want to sweep. This machine is eco-friendly (since it doesn’t use any gasoline), quiet, and usually requires less storage space. It is most suitable for smaller lawns since it runs at a lower speed, it’s a smaller size, and it gathers less debris.
A tow behind or pull behind lawn sweeper is usually preferred to a push lawn sweeper since it requires less manual labor and clears lawns faster
A push lawn sweeper is not as popular, and not seen as much as tow behind sweepers. They are manually operated and are most often smaller than tow behind sweepers.
An operator pushes the sweeper in front of them, exactly like a manual
Once the hopper’s full, you simply detach it, empty out all the contents, and then re-attach the hopper to continue to sweep what’s left of the lawn.
Push lawn sweepers are great for smaller areas or lawns, or for those people who don’t own a riding mower or lawn tractor. They are very effective for clearing lighter debris such as grass clippings and leaves, and unlike tow-behind lawn sweepers, they don’t cause any pollution
How To Determine The Best Lawn Sweeper To Buy
You love your trees and wouldn’t live in a place without them. But when Autumn comes around and those leaves start falling in droves, it’s time to consider purchasing a leaf sweeper or yard sweeper
You’ll want to purchase a lawn sweeper that will pick up lawn debris and leaves quickly with ease so that your yard will once again look beautiful and clean without having to use a rake.
Which sweeper is best for your needs
First of all, you should make sure that whatever sweeper you buy has a
Tow behind sweepers come in various widths. If your property is very large, consider a 42-46″ sweeper.
A smaller sized property probably only needs a 20″-26″ push sweeper. Smaller yards might need a 12 cubic foot hopper, and larger lawns might need a 26 cubic foot hopper. Choose a hitch depending on what you’re using to tow the sweeper. If you’re uncertain of height requirements, opt for a multi-hitch height sweeper.
Choose a push lawn sweeper if you don’t mind getting a little exercise, if your lawn is relatively small and flat if you only want to pick up lighter debris (grass clippings and leaves), and if you don’t own a tractor, ATV, or riding mower. Push lawn sweepers are less expensive and will save you time vs raking.
How To Maintain Your Lawn Sweeper
You’ve done your research and found the best lawn sweeper for your yard, now make sure you maintain it properly.
- First of all, make sure your machine is properly assembled. Depending on how frequently you use your sweeper, a thorough check should be performed every three months (based on weekly usage). Examine the sweeper from the center outward, and finish up with cleaning and washing the exterior.
- Second, examine the wheels. Make sure they’re inflated correctly and check, clean, and grease the axle joints.
- Third, before each use, you should check the condition of your brushes. Order replacements if they’re starting to look a little worn. If they look good but still aren’t operating correctly, double check that they are tight and in the right position, and that they’re properly oiled.
- Fourth, make sure that you empty your hopper regularly. If you let the contents get too heavy, you are risking ripping and tearing. You might also consider putting some strong tape on the hopper bag’s base so that the fabric that might have contact with the ground is reinforced.
- Fifth, make sure that the chute isn’t clogged every time you start to use the sweeper. A visual check is sufficient.
- Sixth, if possible, clean after each use.
- Finally, winterize your equipment before you put it away for the season. Clean it thoroughly, fix anything that needs it, order replacement parts, and oil or grease all moving parts. Cover it well with some plastic tarp and hang it up on the wall, using the hitch.
Lawn Sweeper Reviews
1) Agri-Fab 45-0492 Tow Behind Sweeper
- 25 cubic feet mesh back “flow through” hopper reduces the time necessary for emptying because it fills up more completely
- Sweeper tongue counterbalanced in order to sweep and cut in just one pass without the use of tools
- Easy-to-use indicator on pull-button brush height adjustment lever ensures no slippage and optimum height for this sweeper’s best performance
Bagis lightweight and could rip under heavy load
- Plastic gear-teeth in wheels are breakable
The Agri-Fab 45-0492 is my choice for the best lawn sweeper available.
This model features an improved dump lever which can be run without ever getting off your tractor seat. It has durable, tough brushes to clean away leaves, grass clippings, pine cones, and an extra large flow-through bag (25 cubic feet) which holds approximately 2-3 times more than a typical two-bin bagger
Other features of this quality tow behind lawn sweeper include easy assembly (only 2 of its nuts and bolts need tools to put together clevis pins that are used elsewhere), an adjustable folding hitch and collapsible hopper, semi-pneumatic 12″ x 3″ wheels, and a small storage footprint
The Agri-Fab 45-0492 is a well built and rugged piece of equipment. The sweeper can be offset to either the right or left of your tractor, and the preset height adjustment holes will only adjust the brushes (not the complete housing), so the sweeper-to-tractor orientation remains correct. This yard sweeper also features bronze inserts in its wheels for greater durability.
2) Brinly STS-427LXH Pull Behind Lawn Sweeper
- 42-inch sweep and roomy 20 cubic foot hamper allows less emptying and fewer passes over your yard
- 6 high-velocity brushes have an indexed brush height adjustment for maximum pick-up of debris
- Patented storage design allows easy, convenient storage with a minimal amount of space required
- Assembly is difficult
- Would prefer to have 1 more lower setting for picking up smaller twigs
The Brinly STS-427LXH 4 tow lawn sweeper is a high-performance product that sweeps up grass clippings, leaves, pine needles and thatch (old grass) after de-thatching.
Its sturdy poly weave fabric hamper can haul and hold 20 cubic feet of lawn material. It has 6 high-velocity brushes that continuously rotate to pick up material, even while the tractor is turning
It has a simple adjustable brush-to-ground contact which provides maximum performance and minimizes skipping. Gathered material can be emptied from your tractor seat simply by using the pull-rope and ergonomic T-handle
The Brinly has a 5:1 brush-to-wheel ratio design which allows increased brush-to-ground contact for a cleaner sweep of grass clippings, leaves, pine needles, and assorted yard debris
It features a new twist and
3) Ohio Steel 42SWP22 Tow Behind Sweeper
- 4.5-1 brush-to-wheel turning ratio
- Super wide 9″ chute helps prevent clogging
- Completely removable and collapsible hopper for rapid and compact storage
- Tensioning rods were difficult to assemble
The Ohio Steel 42SWP22 is a professional grade lawn sweeper. It features an extra-wide sweeping path of 42″, as well as a 22 cubic foot heavy-duty collector bag which facilitates quick and efficient lawn care.
This machine has patented exclusive 11″ spiral brushes which sweep more effectively than other standard sweepers and also puts a lot less stress on gears to encourage a longer life. Its hopper empties easily by pulling the rope while seated on your tractor
The 42SWP22 features sealed ball bearings on its brush axle, a hitch pin, and a 5-position hitch adjustment which gives a custom fit for all tractor brands. It has a positive lock “no-slip” height adjustment, which ensures that it won’t vibrate out of the correct position.
The wider 9″ chute clogs less often, especially if you’re sweeping wet grass clippings that may clump together. The three position hitch adjustment provides effective level operation for any tractor hitch height, without having to use easy-to-lose spacer rings.
This sweeper features 11″ semi-pneumatic wheels, black and gray powder-coat finish, sealed ball-bearings on the brush axle, and includes a hitch pin. This pull behind lawn sweeper weighs 84 pounds, has a working width of 42″, and an approximate capacity of 22 cubic feet. Its bagger volume is 17 1/2 bushels.
4) John Deere Lawn Sweeper: STS-42J
- Works with all riding mowers and lawn tractors that have universal hitches
- Great for picking up pine needles
- Expensive for what it is – pay extra for the brand name
- Friction between the metal gears and the plastic wheels affects wheel durability
The John Deere tow-behind lawn sweeper collects grass clippings and leaves with powerful brushes that sweep clean the first time it goes through.
One-pass performance is provided by an extra large hamper and a sweeping path of 42 inches. Its 6 11″ diameter brushes have a higher tip velocity which provides extra force to lift objects off the ground and directly into the hamper.
It also provides compact storage either standing upright or hanging with an exclusive, patented self-storing feature.
The John Deere STS-42J has a convenient pull cord which makes unloading while seated a snap
Another good design feature is
5) Agri-Fab 45-0218 Push Leaf Sweeper
- 9.75″ x 2.25″ durable wheels
- Minimum assembly is required
- Collapsible hopper simply hooks and unhooks, and is collapsible for storage
- Brush assembly doesn’t turn on the low setting
- Tough to push up hills or over large bumps
The Agri-Fab 45-0218 is an easy-to-push lightweight machine
The 45-0218 is durable and can quickly pick up leaves, whether they are whole or have been broken down by mowing. It speeds up your yard work and is suited for smaller yards
It has a completely adjustable sweeper level, a zinc-plated steel frame and polypropylene housing, and a replaceable vinyl bag with a capacity of approximately 7 cubic feet. Although its bag is on the small side and fills up quickly, it makes up for it with its easy maneuverability.
After careful consideration of many
This sweeper is well made and functions well as advertised. It comes with clear instructions, and assembly is easy. It is highly effective in picking up leaves, grass trimmings, and more.
If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below or shoot me an email.