Updated on by
Hand held spreaders are perfect for small jobs and tight spaces, here are the 5 that I recommend…
We are all looking for that perfectly manicured lawn that is the envy of the neighborhood. In order to accomplish that goal, we need to have the proper tools.
A hand held spreader is the perfect tool to add that little bit of extra seed or fertilizer to put your lawn over the top. Or maybe you just have a small piece of property and don’t need a full blown push spreader.
No matter what your reasons are, you still need to know which one to buy. Read on to see which ones I think are the best on the market right now!
Quick Look: Here are the best hand held spreaders in 2019
- Solo 421: top rated, best overall hand held spreader
- Earthway 2750: large capacity, comfortable & simple to use
- Scotts Wizz: small, battery powered & very affordable
- Chapin 84600A: waterproof, inexpensive & comfortable
- Yard Tuff YTF-25SS: very lightweight, well built
How We Rated The Spreaders
When reviewing each hand held spreader, we took into consideration reliability, quality of spread, and ease of use. Every tool that made our list is relatively affordable, however, some are more expensive than others. Keep in mind the additional features that the pricier ones offer to decide whether it’s worth it to you to spend a bit more money.
A reputable brand will typically offer a better (longer) warranty. The customer care team should be able to explain what their warranty covers in the case your purchase is defective. Honestly though, all of these spreaders are pretty inexpensive, so I wouldn’t spend too much time comparing warranties. All of the brands have solid reputations.
Quality of Spread
When reviewing the models currently available, we wanted to consider only those that spread the material evenly and effectively. This assures that you will have a uniform application. We also considered if they rate was adjustable.
Ease of Use
Finally, you want a spreader that is comfortable and easy to use. Most of the high quality models come with a shoulder strap for added comfort. Since hand held spreaders are usually used for a small/quick job, you want to be able to toss material into the hopper and get going quickly.
Why Should You Buy a Hand Held Spreader?
There are many reasons to invest in a handheld spreader:
- Let’s begin with the fact that they are a multi-use tool that can be used with any type of granular substance. Common ones include grass seed, fertilizer, sand, ice melt, kitty litter, seed and feed mixtures. Due to their versatility, they have been found useful for a large range of users.
- While these tools are relatively inexpensive, they come in very handy. For instance, you can easily reseed small areas of your lawn without the need
ofa push spreader. Not only are they simple to use, but they take up little storage space.
- Additionally, this tool helps you take fertilizer or seeding product and disperse it over a large area evenly. Top quality spreaders are easy to control, distributing the right amount of seed and fertilizer.
- Hand held spreaders save you time versus doing the same work by hand. It will make the process easier and do a better job.
What To Look For In a Top Rated Model
When shopping, keep in mind that you want one that is easy to use, durable and comfortable. What is the size of your yard? How often will you need to use one? Keeping these questions in mind will help you find the right spreader at the right price.
Best Selling & Top Rated Brands
- Yard Tuff
How Much Should I Expect To Pay?
In general, you can expect handheld spreaders to be relatively cheap. You can purchase a good one for around $20-30, but there are also higher priced models that offer more features.
Hand Held Spreader Reviews
1) Solo 421 Portable Spreader
- The hoppers large opening makes it easy to fill and clean
- Large 20-pound capacity.
- Can do both narrow-focused spreading and broad spreading, making it a versatile spreader
- Gearbox is designed to be fully enclosed, making it corrosion resistant
- Some users did not like the ergonomics of the design
This spreader is perfect for small to medium-sized lawns. It offers a widespread pattern that throws seeds in an overlapping fashion for complete uniform coverage.
It also includes a cap to protect the operator from chemicals, dust, as well as the product being laid down. A great alternative to wheeled lawn spreaders, the Solo 421 allows you to spread seed or fertilizer where wheels cannot reach.
This is my favorite model on the market!
2) Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated Spreader
- Large capacity hopper (25lb of product) with edge guard technology
- Ergonomically designed with a contoured molded base and adjustable shoulder strap included
- A sturdy and zip-easy bag that is simple to open and close
- Gears sometimes lock up
You will quickly notice that this spreader is very good at spreading grass seed, fertilizer, or other material.
Its hopper is made from collapsible nylon that minimizes the amount of space required to store it. The adjustable shoulder strap included if comfortable.
The hopper holds 25 pounds of product, which is the largest of any of the products we’ve reviewed. The Earthway 2750 is hands down one of the best on the market due to it’s simple, straightforward design!
3) Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
- 5ft spreading capability, with Edge-Guard and Handy-Lock technology
- Great as a year-round spreader
- Operated and powered by 4AA batteries
- Affordable price
- While it is meant to be used year-round, many have discredited its ability to spread melting materials for ice
A great selection for smaller yards, the Scotts Wizz spreader is affordable, lightweight, and portable. With a hopper that can hold sufficient material to fertilize 2,500 sq. ft of yard space, this spreader saves consumers time and money.
It can be used year-round, which is beneficial for homeowners who need to feed, seed, weed, or melt ice throughout the year.
4) Chapin 84600A Professional Bag Seeder
- Designed to withstand the elements thanks to its waterproof bag and gearbox
- Calibrated flow rate adjuster for easy on/off control
- Metal crank for added durability
- Adjustable and padded shoulder strap makes it more comfortable to hold
- Crank can be difficult to control for left-hand users, so its design may not be for everyone
This handheld spreader is great for small areas or hard to reach places. It is heavy-duty, waterproof, and works well with a large variety of seeds and granular fertilizers.
A favorite among consumers, this affordable spreader comes with a zipper top bag that can hold up 25 pounds of material. Like most of the other spreaders mentioned, it also includes a padded, adjustable shoulder strap for added comfort.
5) Yard Tuff YTF-25SS Shoulder Spreader
- It is lightweight (only 3.5 pounds)
Bagis made from canvas material with adjustable strap and zipper
- All the gears are made of metal, so it is durable and built to last
- Offers a calibrated spreader so you can adjust the output rate
- Some users noticed the gears lock up occasionally, making it difficult or impossible to use properly
While it’s small in size and only weighs 3.5 lbs., it can carry a large amount of material. Due to its lightweight design, you’ll appreciate its easy of use and comfort while using it.
Another nice feature is the flow rate adjuster. It is quick and easy to assemble, so you can start spreading your product quickly. Customers also receive a spread chart to help understand how to calibrate the unit.
A spreader is a great tool for keeping your lawn in tip top shape. Hand held spreaders do a good job of putting down your product quickly, easily and uniformly.
After looking at hundreds of product reviews and reading consumer comments, I highly recommend the Solo 421.
It’s the one that I own and I love it!