If you are an avid gardener or simply want to water your grass, then a garden hose is a necessary accessory. Garden hoses come in a variety of sizes and lengths. You will need to determine what length hose will best suit your individual needs.
Ideally, whatever hose you opt to purchase should be strong enough to withstand the daily rigors of use and outdoor exposure. Not all garden hoses are created equal. You will want a durable hose that will last more than just one season.
Quick look: Best garden hoses in 2019
- Hospaip Hose: best overall everyday hose, lightweight & expandable
- Gilmour Pro Farm: highly rated, durable, commercial grade hose
- GenLed Expandable: inexpensive, lightweight, expandable hose
- Forever Steel Hose: best rated stainless steel hose that I researched
- Joeys Hose: good quality expandable hose with included accessories
- QSP Metal Hose: 2nd best stainless steel hose, durable & fairly light
- Teknor Neverkink: commercial grade, kink free hose, made in USA
How We Rated the Garden Hoses
All of these hoses have received great ratings because unlike conventional hoses that often kink these top-of-the-line hoses each have their own unique no-kink technology.
However, when considering the purchase of a hose, you should always take into consideration the manufacturer’s warranty. Another feature that we took into consideration when evaluating the hoses was the couplings. Many hoses feature poorly made couplings that easily break and render the hose unusable. However, each one of these hoses offers superior couplings that can stand up to the elements. They are also lightweight so can easily be stored or carried around the landscape.
Each of the hoses listed has their own unique warranties. Some are better than others. When purchasing a hose, you should always take into consideration the warranty that is offered. Prior to purchase, you should also contact the manufacturer or visit the manufacturer’s website to determine if the warranty has been modified or is no longer viable.
All warranties are supplied by the manufacturer:
- Hospaip has a 60-day warranty
- Gilmour offers a lifetime warranty
- GenLed Expandable Garden Hose has a year replacement warranty
- Forever Steel Hose offers a 30-day money back guarantee
- Joey’s Garden has a 12-month manufacturers warranty
- QSP has a 12-month replacement warranty
- Teknor Apex Neverking boasts a lifetime warranty
The strength of a garden hose is important because it enables the hose to resist leaks and puncture wounds. Usually, the strength of most hoses is determined by the number of layers the hose has been manufactured with The layers are often referred to as ‘plies’. A hose with several plies is considered stronger than a single layer hose. Hoses that have a steel outer case are usually far stronger than traditional or expandable hoses that have no protective casing.
- Hospaip boasts a 3750D polyester fabric cover that rests over a strong double latex inner tube. This creates multiple layers that make it more different for penetration to occur.
- Gilmour 28 Series has six layers of commercial grade vinyl.
- GenLed has an outer polyester fabric that encloses the inner hose for added protection.
- Forever Steel has a 304-grade outer steel shell to protect the inner hose.
- Joey’s Garden is made of an accordion style fabric that resists punctures and leaks.
- QSP is made of 304 grade steel.
- Teknor Apex Neverking features an NTS (Non-Torsion System) that prevents kinks and breaking.
Everyone has experienced the frustration of a hose kinking. It slows down the entire process as you struggle to unkink the garden hose so that pressure can be reestablished. However, all of the hoses on our list have kink-free technology, so you don’t have to worry about ever fighting a kinking hose. The Teknor Apex Neverking Pro Water Hose can even be bent at a 45-degree angle and never experience reduced flow or kinking.
The fittings on a hose must be durable for the hose to last.
- Brass Fittings: Hospaip, Gilmour 28 Series, Joey’s Garden, and QSP.
- Industrial Grade Fittings: The Teknor Apex Neverking has industrial grade fittings that are crush resistant up to 1,400 lbs.
- Plastic Fittings: The GenLed Expandable Garden Hose has plastic fittings.
- Steel Fittings: The Forever Steel 304 Stainless Steel has steel fittings.
How to Pick the Best Hose for You
Picking a hose can be a difficult choice for many individuals. Here are a few things that you should take into consideration when purchasing a hose.
- Intended Purpose: Commercial or residential?
- Length of Hose: You will need to determine how long of a hose you need to water your flowers or landscaping. Some people are happy with a 50 ft. hose and others require a 75 ft. hose or longer. Try to avoid choosing a hose that is too long because it simply becomes unweilding, added weight that you will be pulling around your yard.
- Weight of the Hose: You should always take into consideration the weight of the hose. Some hoses are heavier than others. Although, a heavy hose is not necessarily a better made hose. Many factors determine the lifespan of a hose and weight has no bearing on the durability.
- Kink: Ideally, the hose you choose should boldly proclaim that it is kink-free.
- Expandable vs. Non-Expandable: Many hoses now expand to up to three times their length. An expandable hose is great for storage. A non-expandable hose is more conventional and a viable option if you have a hose wheel or large hose container in your yard.
- Fittings: Brass or steel fittings are built to last. Plastic fittings typically only have a limited lifespan but tend to be cheaper.
Hoses typically come in 25, 50, 75, and 100-foot lengths. You will need to determine the size of your yard to figure out what size hose will fit your needs. Also, the longer the hose, the less water pressure. If you are seeking a lot of water pressure, then you may want to purchase a shorter hose to meet your needs.
In the United States, hose diameters range from 3/8-inch, 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch. However, the typical garden hose is usually 5/8-inch in diameter. Hoses with a larger diameter deliver more water. However, if you want a standard garden hose that you can easily attach a sprinkler or nozzle to then, you should consider purchasing a hose that is 5/8 inch in diameter.
Hoses that are expandable are far easier to store because when not in use their length is usually half the size. A full-length hose will require a hose wheel or a container to store the hose when not in use. Storing the hose helps to protect it from harmful UV rays that can shorten its lifespan and may even cause leaks to develop as the material suffers damage.
Types of Garden Hoses
Nowadays, there are numerous types of garden hoses available such as traditional, expandable, stainless steel, soaker, and drinking water hoses. All have their perks. Several are designed for specific purposes such as drinking water.
Traditional hoses tend to be made out of vinyl, polyurethane, or rubber. They maintain their length with or without water. Unfortunately, many do not feature the kink resistant technology of newer, more modern hose designs. Traditional hoses tend to be great for anyone on a budget or who rarely use the item.
In recent years, expandable garden hoses have become popular. They expand via water pressure. In many cases, they double or even triple their length. Once the water is turned off, the hose again shrinks back to its normal size. They are ideal for easy storage and tend to be lightweight. Some people steer away from expandable hoses because they have not been around very long, so their durability is often questioned.
Stainless steel encased hoses are also a relatively new occurrence. Many are kink proof and highly durable. They typically feature a steel casing that covers a traditional hose. The steel casing offers protection to the encased steel or vinyl rubber hose. It protects the interior hose from UV rays and harsh weather extremes. Steel encased hoses are also dog-chew proof.
A soaker hose is a rubber or vinyl hose that features hundreds or thousands of holes that allow water to seep out slowly. Many of the hoses are also made of a porous material. Soaker hoses are usually used to water gardens, flowers, or other vegetative life that only require water at the root zone and do not benefit from having damp foliage. They are also a great way to irrigate slowly.
Drinking water hoses are designed to safely transport drinking water for campers, RVs, and home use. They are safe for humans and pets to drink out of which means they contain no harmful chemicals or materials such as lead, BPA, or phthalates (plasticizers). They tend to be made out of polyurethane and have a non-toxic core.
Hoses are often classified as commercial grade and non-commercial grade or consumer light. A commercial grade hose tends to be made of heavier material that enables it to withstand severe weather and rough landscapes. A non-commercial grade hose is usually ideal for a home gardener or home lawn. It is made of a more lightweight material that is easier to store.
Consumer light hoses are non-commercial grade. They are normally very lightweight and ideal for the typical homeowner. Many are expandable which makes them easier to store. The lightweight construction of a consumer grade hose allows you to move it around the landscape with ease. They tend to be made of polyurethane, plastic or vinyl.
A commercial grade hose is constructed of heavy duty material and usually boasts numerous plies. The hose tends to be less pliable and can withstand adverse terrain. It can even endure being run over by heavy machinery. Landscapers and other outdoor professionals tend to use commercial grade hoses because of the durability and extended lifespan.
Difference Between Cheap and Expensive Models
There are innumerable differences between cheap and inexpensive hoses. Remember, that just because a hose is expensive does not mean that it is safe to drink from. Many hoses, inexpensive or expensive, are made from harmful chemicals and materials. They are usually clearly marked if they are not safe for drinking water.
Inexpensive Models: A basic vinyl, polyurethane, or plastic hose is the least expensive type of hose. It is constructed of a flimsy material that makes it more prone to twisting, kinking, and tangling. The fittings are often plastic, which easily break. Sun exposure causes the hose to flake and crack over time. However, if you are only using the hose for occasional gardening tasks, then a cheap hose might be the best choice.
Expensive Models: Expensive hoses are often made of superior materials such as rubber or reinforced mesh vinyl and rubber layers. The layers of a hose are known as ‘plies’. The more plies that a hose boasts, the tougher it is. Expandable hoses often have an outer material sheath that offers protection to the inner hose to extend its lifespan. In some models, the hoses are even encased in steel. They do not twist or kink. Most feature UV protection to extend the lifespan of the hose. Expensive models also have long-lasting brass or steel fittings.
Best Selling & Top Rated Brands
How Much Should I Expect to Pay?
Many people wonder how much they should expect to pay for a garden hose. Well, first you will have to determine what type of hose your require and its primary function. If you rarely use a hose, then there is no reason to invest a sizable amount of money in the purchase. You can probably get away with spending very little.
However, if you are an avid gardener or you have a large yard that depends on frequent watering then you will want to invest wisely in the perfect hose. Garden hoses vary widely in price. You can pick up a cheap hose for under $10, but an expensive, commercial grade hose might cost you up to $100.
Many factors determine the price of the hose such as length, grade, and material. A heavy duty, 50 ft. long garden hose that has an acceptable warranty and features superior construction will run around $30 to $50.
Garden Hose Reviews
1) Hospaip 50ft Expandable Garden Hose
- Retractable for easy storage
- Brass connectors
- Requires adequate water pressure to function properly and expand to full length
- Outer fabric not durable
The Hospaip 50ft. Expandable Garden Hose is the editor’s choice. The hose measures only 17ft when not in use which makes it ideal for easy storage. When in use, the hose quickly expands to a length of 50ft. It is relatively lightweight at only 3.7 pounds. The hose quickly returns to its shorter length when the water is shut off. It features a lightweight, flexible design with a 3750D polyester fabric cover that rests over a strong double latex inner tube. The unique multi-layer design makes the hose leak proof. The hose comes with a free 8-pattern spray nozzle and a convenient storage bag. It is best to store the hose in a shady location. For optimum functioning ability, the hose should only be used when the temperature reaches 41 degrees Fahrenheit and does not exceed 113 degrees Fahrenheit. Features a 60-day warranty.
2) Gilmour 29 Series 6 Ply Garden Hose
- Features a protective collar to resist kinks at the faucet
- Brass couplings with O rings prevent leaks and create a tight seal
- Commercial double reinforced strength
- Abrasive resistant
- Heavy, weighs 13.1 pounds
- Kinks easily
The Gilmour 28 Series 6 Ply Garden Hose is built from commercial grade vinyl. It features six layers to prevent leaks. The hose can easily be dragged across the roughest terrain on farms and ranches. The hose measures 5/8 inch in diameter and is 90 ft long. It is moderately flexible. A protective collar prevents kinking at the faucet. It comes with highly durable metal couplings and O rings to prevent leaking. The hose is designed for the yard, farm, and ranch use. It should not be used for potable water. It contains a CA Proposition 65 warning that states it may contain cancer-causing chemicals. Features a lifetime warranty.
3) GenLed Expandable Garden Hose
- Space efficient
- Has an accordion design which renders it tangle, twist, and kink-free
- Features a durable natural latex core
- End connectors are plastic
- Often leaks and develops holes
The GenLed Expandable Garden Hose measures a convenient 25 ft when not in use which makes it ideal for storage. When in use, it quickly stretches to 75 feet. It features a convenient on and off valve on the end so you can quickly turn the water off without walking back to the faucet. This feature is especially convenient for shutting the water off to attach a nozzle. The hose comes with a storage bag. The inner hose is covered in a polyester fabric that helps protect the hose from UV damage and leaks. The accordion design keeps the hose from kinking or twisting. It comes with a 12 month warranty.
4) Forever Steel Hose (50′) 304 Stainless Steel Garden Hose
- Durable stainless steel hose
- Puncture and tear proof
- Flexible and never kinks
- UV resistant so can withstand even hard weather conditions
- Small diameter does not enable strong water pressure
- Some users said it developed leaks
The Forever Steel Hose (50’) 304 Stainless Steel Garden Hose is highly durable. It features a 304 steel outer shell that protects the interior hose from punctures or excessive wear. It is also reinforced with nickel and chromium to protect against corrosion. The stainless steel sheath is UV resistant. The hose can easily be maneuvered around sharp corners or other areas that could cause damage to a rubber hose. It can even withstand being chewed by an animal. The hose is lightweight at only 5.2 pounds, so it is easy to carry around the landscape.
5) Joeys Garden Expandable Hose
- Premium brass connectors
- Hose quickly expands to a length of 50 feet when water is turned on
- Weighs only 3 lbs.
- Comes with a carrying sack, eight-way spray nozzle, and hanger
- Inner lining has been reported to detach
- Develops leaks
The Joey’s Garden Expandable Hose weighs less than 3lbs so it is easy to carry around the garden. It quickly extends to a length of 50 feet when the water is turned on. The hose boasts a stretchy body that never kinks or twists. Each of the connectors is made of brass, so it never rusts. There is a convenient on and off valve at one end, so there is no reason to have to walk all the way back to the faucet to turn off the water. You can easily control the water’s flow with the valve. It comes with a convenient 8 pattern sprayer, a storage bag, and a hose hanger. There is also a 12-month manufacturers warranty.
6) Metal Garden Hose By QSP
- Made from heavy-duty 304-grade steel
- Does not twist or kink
- Large, durable brass fittings
- Lightweight, it weighs only 6 lbs
- The hose cannot be used for drinking water because of safety concerns.
- Difficult to find a nozzle to fit the end of the hose
The Metal Garden Hose by QSP is made of 304-grade steel. Its serpentine-like length does not twist or kink. The steel makes it puncture-proof, thorn-proof, and chew-proof. The brass ends and fittings are larger than other hoses, so they are easier to use and handle. It comes with an 8 pattern spray nozzle. The hose weighs only a little over 5 pounds so is easy to carry and maneuver around any sized landscape. Multiple hoses can be connected together to create even greater length. The hose comes with a 12-month manufacturer replacement warranty.
7) Teknor Apex Neverkink, 8844-50 PRO Water Hose
- Features an NTS (Non-Torsion System) which makes the hose not kink
- Industrial grade couplings that are crushproof up to 1,400 lbs.
- Flexible down to 45 degrees
- Steel coil to prevent kinking at the faucet
- Develops bubbles that often burst
- Customers have complained about it leaking at connection points
The Teknor Apex Neverkink, 8844-50 Pro Water Hose is made in the USA. It features a patented NTS (Non-Torsion System) that was invented to solve the problem of a kinking hose. The technology boasts a network of mesh reinforcement, so the hose resists kinking and twisting. There is a translucent strip that runs the length of the hose that lets you see the technology. The hose has antimicrobial protection, so it never grows mold. The industrial grade couplings are crush proof up to 1,400 lbs, so you don’t have to worry about running over the hose and damaging it. It has a heavy-duty power coil at the faucet that prevents the hose from kinking. The hose remains flexible down to 45 degrees. Unlike many other heavy commercial grade hoses, it weighs only around 2 lbs and offers a lifetime warranty.
A garden hose is a wise investment for your landscape. It comes in handy for innumerable tasks such as washing your car, house, walkway, driveway, watering your garden, lawn, or flowers. If you opt to purchase a hose that is well-constructed, then you will be able to enjoy years of use. However, if you rarely use a hose, then even an inexpensive model is a valuable addition to your household supply list. Typically, at some point, most people can and will benefit from owning a hose. You will simply have to determine which hose best fits your budget and unique set of needs.